Saturday, August 24, 2013

ABOUT GOD

I wanted to make it clear to everyone where I stand on the issue of god. What I mean is the speaking of the word god. There are so many different beliefs among the people on this that it is ridiculous. Some say we must write it “G-d”, some say it is pagan and we should not use it at all.

This word occurs 2605 times in the KJV. It is translated as “god” 2366 times. Translated as “gods” 216 times. As “god’s” 7 times. “Judges” 4 times. “Goddess” 2 times. “Great” 2 times. “Mighty” 2 times. And “angels” 1 time.

To save time the following is copied from the Complete Word Study Dictionary. This is not the top end of what I use for study but it will suffice for this article. Also, I appologize for the spacing, I couldn't get it to close up.

H430
ֱאֹלִהים
elōhiym

: A masculine plural noun meaning God, gods, judges, angels. Occurring more than 2,600 times in the Old Testament, this word commonly designates the one true God (Gen_1:1) and is often paired with God's unique name yehōwāh (H3068) (Gen_2:4; Psa_100:3). When the word is used as the generic designation of God, it conveys in Scripture that God is the Creator (Gen_5:1); the King (Psa_47:7 [8]); the Judge (Psa_50:6); the Lord (Psa_86:12); and the Savior (Hos_13:4). His character is compassionate (Deu_4:31); gracious (Psa_116:5); and faithful to His covenant (Deu_7:9). In fewer instances, this word refers to foreign gods, such as Dagon (1Sa_5:7) or Baal (1Ki_18:24). It also might refer to judges (Exo_22:8-9 [7-8]) or angels as gods (Psa_97:7). Although the form of this word is plural, it is frequently used as if it were singular-that is, with a singular verb (Gen_1:1-31; Exo_2:24). The plural form of this word may be regarded (1) as intensive to indicate God's fullness of power; (2) as majestic to indicate God's kingly rule; or (3) as an allusion to the Trinity (Gen_1:26). The singular form of this word elôah (H433) occurs only in poetry (Psa_50:22; Isa_44:8). The shortened form of the word is ’ēl (H410).

Notice right about in the middle of this description it tells us this word can also refer to foreign gods. It is the same word in the original manuscripts. It is “elohim”. It is a word meaning god or gods. There is no logical reason to apply the holiness to this word that some apply to it. If you have verifiable information to the contrary then I am more than willing to listen.

So we can see now that the idea of leaving out a letter is just kind of silly. I have even had one person explain that they leave a letter out so if the paper it is written on is destroyed the name of god won’t be destroyed. This same person didn’t have a problem with writing out elohim or YHWH or Yahweh. This just doesn’t make any sense.

This kind of thing among the people casts a shadow on our credibility when the gentiles inspect us. And they ARE inspecting us and finding a lot of inconsistencies.

7 comments:

  1. I don't not serve a generic god, but the One Unique Creator of ALL things! Yah wants us to become so personal with Him that we call Him by His Name. I believe it is a maturity thing, if we are truly seeking to walk and talk with Him we will change how we address Him as well! Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use the hyphen as in G-d, not because it's the Name of the Creator, but because there are many gods, and G-d is only used to reference the Elohim of Israel, who is YHWH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Elizabeth, can you tell me where and when this tradition originated?

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with you Kelly altouugh it must be conceded that many of our ancestors including Abraham, Jacob, Moses, Jethro, etc. refered to him as "elohim". I removed my reply only because it wouldn't let me edit it. I wanted to add that the point of the article is that it is not a sin to say god instead of elohim as some are trying to impose on us.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree! As I said, I believe it is a maturity thing...kinda like when you are just a wee little kiddo and you finally realize daddy has a name and it isn't just daddy, lol! I don't, personally, use god, except when speaking to others that are truly unaware that He has any other Name. I love to see that moment in folks' lives that they make that realization though, because it takes their walk to a whole new level! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. 1 Kings 18:24 KJV

    And call ye on the name of your gods, and I will call on the name of the Lord : and the God that answerth by fire, let him be God. And all the people answered and said, It is well spoken.

    There are many such examples of use of His name in Torah. In Torah you will find that HaShem is used in place of His name for the same reason people have used G-d because they are afraid of desecrating His name and breaking a commandment. I think this is wrong. Yehovah wants us to remember His mighty name not blot it out.
    Agreed that it takes time and studying to look at what Yah wants from us. I've got miles to go and a lot of things to correct in myself but I'm glad to keep learning to grow closer to Him :)

    ReplyDelete